Somewhere along the way, we made a collective decision that adults shouldn’t play; that it’s a waste of time and energy and there are better, more productive things to do. I’ve never understood this. Isn’t life here for us to enjoy? Is it not our birthright to play? Since we have the choice, why not choose to play amidst all the work?
When we see someone playing — being delighted with life — it’s an invitation to play, too. Our delight is not just for us, it’s for everyone.
70 THINGS THAT DELIGHT ME:
1. Wiping down the counter in public restrooms.
2. Kissing passionately in public.
3. Turning the iPhone off for dinner…and turning it back on after breakfast.
4. Buying from or hiring my friends.
5. Peachy-red toenails.
6. Matte red lipstick.
7. Seeing people who have weathered a lot together and don’t look weather-worn.
8. Sitting by the fire, watching it snow outside.
9. A glass of chilled Sancerre before I meet my man for a date.
10. Watching my mom arrange flowers.
11. Watching my man eat oysters.
12. Watching my brother play with his dog.
13. Watching my dad eat crab.
14. Making my website feel like art.
15. Homemade popcorn with melted butter, dill, brewers yeast and sea salt.
16. Quality jersey knit sheets in ivory.
17. Homemade necklaces.
18. Looking down at new shoes.
19. Having a coach who “gets me”.
20. Reading in a hammock with my love, while picking strawberries out of the same container.
21. Dessert that’s so orgasmic, it doesn’t matter that it’s the size of your thumb.
22. San Francisco in the spring.
23. Montreal in the fall.
24. Taking women on retreats and watching them fall in love with one another.
26. Picturing what my children will look like.
27. Making soup in my Vitamix.
28. Watching a baby check out a dog.
29. Talking with my grandmothers at my altar.
30. Green juice that tastes green (but not too green).
31. Playing with my friends’ sons.
32. Taking hikes in Pacific Northwest forest.
33. Talking about love and life and travel with my little brother.
34. Dancing tango while waiting for our table at the restaurant.
35. Looking at people on the subway and imagining what they looked like as babies.
36. Sandalwood incense.
37. Vanilla hazelnut herbal tea with coconut milk.
38. Seeing a woman in a dress that looks like it’s made for her.
39. Cooking an elaborate dinner for my friends.
40. Planning my coming week on Sunday evening.
41. Road trips when there’s no timeline.
42. Just-out-of-the-dryer clothing.
43. Wearing a backpack.
44. Feathers in my hair.
45. Dreaming up emails that will inspire and provoke.
46. Watching movies in the bath.
47. Wearing hats.
48. The combination of feathers and sequins.
49. Walking into the room and seeing my man’s eyes widen as he takes me in.
50. Talking about life’s big things with my momma.
51. Writing poetry.
52. Watching a father play with his kids.
53. Opening mail from friends.
54. Traveling to new places with girlfriends.
55. Gold rings.
56. Cooking my family’s curry with cabbage.
57. Homemade coconut milk ice cream.
58. Hanging with my girls; doing anything or nothing.
59. Being on the beach when it’s quiet.
61. Midday dance parties on the bed.
62. Wrapping my friends in blankets.
63. Sparkling rosé.
64. Eating nasturtiums.
65. Watching bees pollinating flowers.
67. Artichokes with garlic butter.
68. Listening to little girls tell stories.
69. This American Life (I have a crush on Ira Glass).
70. Jewelry made with crystals.
Today, write a list of all the things that delight you!
In the comments below, share some of your favorites, and what this exercise has opened up for you.
1. waking up next to the man of my dreams
2. walking to work
3. my great smart staff
4. fun tights!
5. shutting off my iphone
7. watching squirrels do somersaults (this always delights me)
8. making things with my hands
9. watching snow fall
Satya, you made tights fun again for me!
I love http://discoverpique.com/
Your #1 melted me 🙂
1. my toes in the grass
2. reading decor mags in the morning
3. sipping stumptown while it rains
4. saturday morning pancakes
5. watching my man beam as he talks about the people he’s helped
6. flowers in my hair
7. european lunch
8. getting celebratory texts from my clients
9. foot massages
10. feeding my friends
Toes in the grass…
Love you, Sarah.
Thank you for sharing, sister.
What a fabulous and liberating exercise!! One of my newest delights, after moving to a new home, is observing all the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks that live and play among the neighbor’s rooftop!
Thank you so much for sharing this, Selina!
1. sunny days
2. orchids in bloom
3. deep rich colors — lots of them!
5. All of my children
6. All of my grandchildren–especially when they call me “grammy”
7. Any kind of hug
8. warm breezes
9. my art classes!!
10. a long bike ride in the sunshine
12. sweet mango
13. deep belly laughter
14. a good book
15. spring flowers
16. good conversation
Gayle, I used to call my grandma “grammy”!
Reading that brought back great memories.
and it all brought tears to my eyes..
1. Walking to work
2. Taking my time while I do the dishes
3. Listening to my man sign when he’s in the other room
4. Sharing air-popped popcorn with KerryGold butter on the couch
5. Reading before bed
6. Picking weeds from the garden
7. Cooking a delish meal in the nic of time
8. Eating apples out of the yard
9. Drinking tea in the morning
10. Watching kiddos dance to a beat
Picking weeds is so gratifying
Thank you so much for sharing
your list, Mallory. Love it.
1. Making delicious meals (and being creative with it!)
2. Shopping at Whole Foods. Doesn’t matter how many times I’ve been, I could spend hours just looking at all their amazing products from essential oils to lotions… Man…
3. Can I write really good sex on here? ;]
4. Watching an episode of Glee (reminds me of high school)
5. Singing in the shower or along with the radio in the car
6. Getting centered in a yoga class.
7. Walking and realizing that I have the energy to run. :]
8. Reading. Everything under the sun, really. I just get lost in books.
9. LEARNING. Any time I can learn something new, my heart is like, “YES!”
10. Answering questions. I love getting emails and Facebook messages from people who want/need my help! It’s like the universe’s reminder to me that I’m doing something really great, what I’m meant to do. :]
Yes, you can write about sex 😉
Thank you so much for sharing, sister.
1. When my puppies fall asleep on me.
2. When I catch my amazing man staring at me.
4. When I can’t help but pause to let the suns rays soak deep I to my skin.
5. Talking to strangers and leaving with a new friend.
6. The first sign of spring flowers.
7. The sound of birds singing.
9. Sucking on a piece of chocolate to see how long I can savory the amazing flavor.
10. Laughing so hard my cheeks hurt.
11. Using silly voices.
12. Seeing acts of kindness.
13. Unconditional love.
14. Nourishing myself.
15. Homemade ginger lemonade.
16. Turquoise rings.
17. Thrift store finds.
18. Books you can’t pull you nose from.
20. Getting caught in he rain.
Ditto on the turquoise rings!
Actually, I resonated with so
much of your list. Love it,
and thank you, Kimberly!
Nisha, I found your list very inspiring. Thank you.
1. coffee dates and relaxed conversation with my man
2. really excellent hot chocolate
3. Planning trips and adventures
5. a great workout
6. beets with pistachios and goat cheese
7. Layla, my dog, playing ball
8. a great book
9. getting dressed up
10. skinny dipping
Thank YOU, Allison!
I just read your “beets with pistachios and goat cheese”
to my Events Planner, who’s sitting on the couch with me.
We both said “Mmmmmm” at the same time. We agree 🙂
1. morning meditation
2. lemon & ginger tea
3. Binka my kitty
4. old photos & memories
5. crossing off ‘to-dos’
6. seeing my man’s face after a long absence
7. wearing a bright coloured bikini
8. hearing the rain fall
9. listening to my inner guide
10. green smoothies 🙂
Elise, I totally love this!
Listening to your inner guide…love that.
Adding that to my list 🙂
1. Fresh flowers in pretty vases
2. Making delish+fun salads for my loved ones
3. Love notes from the people I love most
4. Text messages from my God daughter who is seven and who will randomly text me from HER phone “I love you nina. -Alysse”
5. Cuddling 🙂
6. Explorative and intimate sex
7. Vanilla incense
8. Lit candles and lights dimmed
9. Laughing on the beach with my friends
10. Soul connections
11. Writing poetry
12. Dinner Parties
13. Playing with Lil puppies+kittens
14. Finding an ideal that is a perfect fit for my soul
15. Long and deep conversations
16. Dancing my booty off
17. Nibbling on chubby baby cheeks
18. Getting emails from my clients on how much better they feel after a session with me
19. Soul time with myself, writing and watching videos that inspire
20 . Laughing non stop
Thank you so much for sharing this, Christine!
Loved this one: “Nibbling on chubby baby cheeks”
Love you, sister. xo
1. a big glass of red wine
2. a delicious bowl of chili that has been simmering for hours
3. dark chocolate with a little bit of salt
4. clean wooden floors that shine in the sun
5. feeling doggy fur right after it’s been washed and dried
6. a crisply made bed
7. a windy fall day in the midwest
8. rooftop bars
9. finding the perfect pair of high heels (that are also comfortable)
10. kisses and hugs (all kinds!)
11. hydrangeas & peonies
12. throwing dinner parties (my favorite!)
13. a cold beer in the warm sun
14. hearing children laugh
This exercise helped to remind me that a great day (or life) is not made up of big things, but the sum of all the amazing little things that are right under my nose. I just have to be present and pay a bit more attention to the things that really matter.
p.s. – I LOVE that you take delight in wiping down public restroom counters, AND that it was the first item on your list. 🙂
Cheryl, thank you! This totally inspired me:
“This exercise helped to remind me that a great day
(or life) is not made up of big things, but the sum of
all the amazing little things that are right under my nose.”
YES. Thank you for reminding us all of that.
And, I love hydrangeas and peonies. Big, fluffy flowers!
I love this, Nisha. So simple, yet powerful to choose to focus on what delights us. Thank you!
Here are some of mine…
2. My morning green smoothie
3. Laying in the grass, looking up at the sky
4. Milo the kitty welcoming me and insisting on me picking him up to pet him when I walk through the door
6. Driving with the music all the way up, singing and dancing along and not caring if people stare
7. Walking and exploring in the woods
8. Midday lunch and co-working dates with friends
9. Work-day dance breaks
11. Music that perfectly matches my mood
12. Cracking myself up and then cracking up thinking about my own personal inside jokes that no one else would think are funny
13. Soaking in the hot springs
14. The fresh, humid scent of the dishwasher when I open it right after it’s done
15. Feel-the-loooooove hugs
Hi Jessica! Thanks for coming to play 🙂
This hit me like a…steamy dishwasher.
“The fresh, humid scent of the dishwasher
when I open it right after it’s done.”
Ooh Nisha I simply adore this! Thank you!
1. Being with the love of my life. Seeing him beam and light up.
2. Listening to the rain against the window (this is happening right now as I write!)
3. Late night meandering conversations.
4. Avocados for breakfast.
5. Mangos. Yummy.
6. Morning meditation. Feeling calm and centred.
7. Burlesque dancing.
8. Being in the ocean.
9. Sending messages in song.
10. Dark chocolate dipped in a cup of hot water, lemon and honey. Surprisingly delicious! I’m going to have some now.
11. Studying in high heels.
12. Writing love notes on my mirror in lipstick.
13. Walking in the countryside. Wearing wellies and a wax jacket.
14. Home made pizza. Play flour fights in the kitchen.
Thank you so much for sharing some
of your list, sister. So fun.
I am learning to get comfortable in the
ocean — it still scares me often.
How did you achieve your love of being
in the ocean? I’d love to learn from you.
I love it 🙂
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to share this! I love this exercise!
1. Breathing, eating slowly, and knowing that I am taking the time to take care of and listen to my body
2. Following my strict schedule and having epic dance breaks in between or quick bike rides to get my body moving
3. Really good chemistry between actors
4. Inspirational, heart-felt Oscar speeches
5. Cold showers (this one takes a little bit of will power but I’m ALWAYS happy I did it…)
6. Getting tons of comments/uprides on my blogposts/fb posts
7. Eating something really DELICIOUS and decadent with slowness and pleasure (e.g. pasta quattro formaggi)
8. The 4-Hour Series. All of ’em. But definitely, The 4-Hour Chef was my favourite.
9. Being with really good girlfriends who love and support me and we are all talking and it feels fantastic
10. Being able to help someone
11. Looking beautiful because I slept well and am wearing ‘that dress’ and dolling myself up FOR LIFE
12. Talking to/connecting to bloggers/women I admire
13. Public Speaking!
14. Dancing like a fool
15. Looking super good on camera
16. Blasting Lana Del Rey and driving at night with the windows open
17. Going to the airport right before a TRIP!
19. Skipping on the beach with the waves and writing my desires in the sand
20. Feeling connected to my heart and my inner divine knowing
21. Reading how women describe themselves on their websites
22. Working with women entrepreneurs
23. Green Juice!
24. Chiropractic Back Cracks
25. Massages with coconut oil
26. Making ghee
27. Playing with my little cousins, Rahil & Rumi. Little bundles of joy.
28. Talking to my sister after months being apart
29. Asking for something and getting it
30. Letters in the mail
31. Talking to Spaniards in Spain Spanish
32. Flirting with men who I have chemistry with
33. Windy rainy dark afternoons
34. Little bookstores I can tuck into
35. Private Detective/Trench-like Rain coats and high heels
36. Feeling RICH
37. Handmade jewelry (like Lauren Harkness: http://laurenharkness.com/)
39. Belly dancing
40. Connecting with old friends
41. Wearing red lipstick just because
42. Tea-time somewhere quaint and lovely
43. cuddles and kisses and feeling in the moment as i shnuggle my man
44. Mom hugs
45. Spraying/splashing water drops on my little cousins
46. trying to do a handstand
48. racing my man running or on bicycles
49. saying NO
50. saying YES
Alia, thanks for sharing this big list, sister!
I, too, love making ghee and wearing red
lipstick for no reason 🙂
This is another I love, but haven’t thought
to articulate before, so thank you:
“Reading how women describe themselves on their websites”
I am such a huge believer in the power of choice and remebering to exercises that power. Choosing to embrace delight, powerful.
I delight in …
2. DIY pedicures )especially with gliter nail polish)
3. The quiet of the early morning
4. Sundays in the city
9. Sending love letters
10. Getting love letters
11. Dancing in my socks across my hardwood floors
12. Good music
13. Engaing in meaningful relationships
14. San Francisco
Thank you for your comment!
“Dancing in my socks across my hardwood floors”
YES. That. It’s so fun to be a human 🙂
I absolutely adore this. It catapulted me to create atleast 3 daily delights for one daily desire. Thanks, Nisha.
1. Reading just because books( my current is “Baby Proof” by Emily Giffin)
2. Bright nail polish
3. Delicious meals with exotic and aromatic spices.
5. Laughing and enjoying my own silliness.
7. Women falling and being in love with their bodies authentically-regardless of size.
8. When I reach that climax of understanding and see there is so much more to know ( I love that mystery of the unknown!)
9. Bold prints and fabrics
10. Writing & Words
11. Hand-written notes and letters
12. When people savor and experience my cooking
Great to see you here, sister 🙂
You have a lot of food on your list.
I know what you enjoy doing with
your time 😉
Hi, Nisha 🙂 I absolutely love your list of things that delight you. All of them made me smile. Here is mine:
1. Rain on a tin roof
2. Dancing with my girlfriends
3. Crying while reading a great book
6. Watching my man talk about things he is passionate about
7. Knitting scarfs
8. Morning dew
9. Making breakfast with my love
10. A new Red Wine
11. New clothes
12. The smell of something baking
13. Watching older couples hold hands or kiss
14. Leaves turning in the Fall
15. Seeing my mom laugh
16. Lemon tea with honey
17. Yucca root French fries with sea salt
18. Island life
19. Sweet dreams
20. Imagining what my children will look/be like
Thanks for letting me share, love your website/all you stand for!
Thanks for the love, Jackie, and
thanks for sharing your list!
I love this, especially:
“Yucca root French fries with sea salt”
Yum. Could we make that truffled
sea salt? 😉
This was SO fun, thanks for the inspiration. I just made a list of 100 thing!! Here’s a sampling:
1. Stainless steel appliances.
2. Window shopping on a sunny day in NYC, eating warm, candied almond.
3. Listening to my sister do impressions.
4. Decorating for Christmas.
5. Checks in the mail.
6. Leaving a fab dinner feeling satisfied and like I ate and drank just the right amount.
7. Seeing people I love totally step into their power.
8. Rollerblading along the beach path on a Wednesday midday, with no one else in sight.
9. An elderly couple holding hands.
10. Happy hour with my man, getting caught up in riffing on our wildest dreams.
Thanks for stopping by, sister 🙂
100! Girlfriend, you’re inspiring.
I totally resonate with #4, 5, 6 & 7
2. Books I can get lost in
3. Suddenly noticing that the daffodils have bloomed
4. Receiving something good in the mail
5. Meeting an old acquaintance and knowing that you’ve turned out okay
6. A day spent running errands with my mom
7. Drinking soda from a glass bottle
8. Meeting an unexpectedly bilingual person
9. Studying others’ tattoos
10. The sound of a breeze in the pine trees
Bryana, I love your list!
The way you shared created really
vivid images in my mind and I felt
like I was experiencing them with
you. Beautiful. Thank you!
1. My nephew in rain boots
2. My sister and I on Saturdays
3. Dunn Brothers coffee in the suburbs
4. That moment when my boyfriend’s hair is the perfect length
5. Thinking of living location independent
6. On an island
#4! Love that and so know it 🙂
First of all…Wiping down counters in public restrooms! Love it.
Talking with my sistafriend!
Hugging my little girl.
Being held my big man.
Singing jazz standards with my daughter.
Finding out about passionate, authentic, powerful women.
Making coconut ribs for friends.
Picnicking in the park. Jamaica pond in Boston is my best spot – till date.
Hearing a gospel song that makes me cry.
Hearing a country song that makes me smile.
Hearing any song that touches my soul.
The perfect cup of tea. Currently into Tazo Passion
When my makeup is on point.
Ooh yes, killer high heels. I love a shoe that is stylish, yet not pushy, fashionable but not too forward and all the way sexy…
More to come.
I am inviting myself for coconut ribs, Ekene,
and coming for parenting advice (and singing
lessons) when my time comes! 🙂
Thank you for the wonderful and inspiring Article! I always enjoy creating lists like these as they are very connective.
Things that Delight me:
Being myself right now here for this moment
Awakening to my inner core
Wearing a dress and high heels
Trying something new
Ana, thank you for sharing the
simple things, like Birds.
1.watching kids play in puddles
2.playing in my garden..turning the dirt,pulling weeds
3.sitting on my front porch
4.laying on the ground looking at the clouds
5.holding a newborn
6.good,clean food ( salads)
7.freedom of choice
9.hearing kids laugh
10.listening to the birds from bed or while sitting in my office working
Hearing kids laugh…
one of the best sounds around.
Thanks for the reminder 🙂
1. Fresh orange juice
2. Autumn in New York
4. Spending a morning in bed with someone who sets my body on fire
5. My mum’s smile
1. Watching sunsets and sunrises change color and catching the peak oranges, pinks and blues as they sail across the sky
2. The diamond sun sparkle on ocean water
3. The first spiced sip of chai from my favorite mug
4. Thumbing through the pages of a new book and smelling the fresh paper
5. Watching honeybees
6. Watching butterflies
7. Seeing children’s faces light up when something delights them
8. Hot water dishes in cold weather
9. Taking photographs of all the beautiful places, flowers and moments and knowing they’re present everyday
10. Kitty love and the sound of purrrrr
11. Solving brain buster problems and laughing in delight when the solution is uncovered
12. Watching Star Trek with my girlfriends
13. Asking questions to find out the places in life where people light up
14. Sun drenched spring leaves
15. Wild raspberries, blueberries, strawberries found unexpectedly while hiking
16. Watching men (or women!) gaze adoringly at the men/women who they love
17. Happy couples being happy
18. Clean sheet night
19. The moment when encompassing beauty of the world becomes incomprehensible
20. Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean
21. Smothering my face in the scent of fresh lilac blossoms
22. Hawk watching
23. When the perfect song for the moment comes on
24. Perfect curls
25. Serendipity and being aware of it
26. Heart connection moments with strangers
“Clean sheet night” <--- I love it, too! Thank you so much for reading and for your generous comment, Justine 🙂 Big hugs, Nisha